I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas this year. This year, was a special Christmas for my husband, Ahmad & I, as it’s our first Christmas in our brand new home. We invited our close friends May & Alvin for dinner and made sure to tell them to come ‘HUNGRY’. I made it my ultimate goal to cook up a full selection of Christmas themed dishes. Being a month into our hot Australian summer, a far cry from the traditional white Christmas most parts of the world experience. Aussies generally fire up the BBQ and have multiple cold sides (salads, cold meats, seafood etc) given the weather. Being the traditionalist that I am, I craved Roast Turkey with stuffing, Cranberry sauce and the works for sides dishes. Most people would say the meal is centred around the turkey but to be honest, your side dishes is where your taste buds are tantalized.
My menu consisted of Hassleback Potatoes, Raw Broccoli Slaw, Chilli & Garlic Prawns, Sriracha Hot Wings, Candied Yams with Marshmallows and Roasted Cauliflower
Candied Yams with Marshmallows
Today’s recipe is Candied Yams with Marshmallows. Every morsel was like a hit of Christmas flavours.
For a rectangular medium sized deep dish
3-4 large sweet potatoes, chopped to small cubes
¾ cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg Powder or fresh grated Nutmeg
¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger
2 bags of baking marshmallows
Sliced or silvered almonds
1. Preheat oven at 180 degrees fan-forced
2. Layer cubed sweet potatoes in ovenproof dish
3. In a small sauce pan over low heat, mix butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and brown sugar. Stir continuously so the sugar doesn’t stick to pan and burn.
4. Once sugar dissolves, and sauce boils mildly. Pour sauce over sweet potatoes and stir to evenly coat.
5. Cover dish with aluminium foil and pop into oven for 50mins covered. 30mins in, remove foil cover and stir the sweet potatoes. Replace foil cover and continue baking remaining 20mins.
6. Bake a further 10-20mins uncovered, until majority of sauce evaporates and thickens slightly. The sweet potatoes should still appear moist.
7. Remove from oven, and top with all of marshmallows, if using almonds, drizzle some in between marshmallows and return to oven for a further 3-5mins until marshmallow top Browns slightly.
I made it again! 3rd of Jan 2017