We all have that moment where we open and stare into our fridge hoping for inspiration to cook dinner to slap us upside the head. Fear not, this is an amazing clear the fridge or lazy cooking recipe which is still healthy and delicious.
The only trick to this recipe is to buy good quality sausages from your butcher so when you squeeze the meat out of the skin you get more meat than fat content compared to supermarket sausages. Feel free to use any mix match of vegetables and also spices in your marinade that you prefer to tantalized your tastebuds. My only recommendation is you select vegetables that have lower water content so you don’t get a watery mixture once everything cooks.
4-6 – Any good quality sausages from butcher preferably so there’s more meat than fat content.
1 Sweet Potato or 2 Nadine Potato, peeled and cubed (or both)
1 Red Onion, roughly cubed
1/2 Japanese Pumpkin, cubed
1-2 Carrots, cubed or medium sized chunks
2 Tomatoes, cubed
Olive oil spray
Or any other vegetable that does not have high water content.
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Paprika or 1.5 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 Lemon, juiced
2 Tbspn Honey or 1 Tbspn Raw Sugar
1/4 cup of Olive Oil / Rice Bran Oil
Chilli flakes, to your spice preference or omit
Salt & Pepper to taste
Herb of choice Parsley or Mint
- Preheat oven at 180degrees Celcius, fan-forced.
- Cube vegetables and layer it in overproof dish
- Mix marinade ingredients with whisk and taste to ensure flavour balance. Correct seasoning if required.
- Push sausage meat out of skin atop the vegetable layer, each sausage meatball 0.5-1cm apart.
- Pour marinade all over sausage meatball and vegetables.
- Pop tray into oven for 30mins
- Remove from oven and toss the vegetables and meatballs and bring the vegetables from the base for the surface. It’s fine if you cover some the meatballs with vegetables.
- Put tray back into oven 40-50mins or until all vegetables are cooked through.
- Grate parmesan over the sausage tray bake.
- Spoon mixture into fresh crusty bread rolls or serve with rice/quinoa/couscous. Enjoy!!