My mother was assigned Shepherd’s Pie for a church lunch do few years ago. And she was beside herself looking up the recipe trying to figure out what was actually ‘IN’ Shepherd’s Pie. She found the recipe in our family recipe book library but felt it didn’t quite have the kick for her Asian palate so she created this version and it has been a favourite in our household since! I hope you enjoy it too!
Rectangular deep ovenproof dish
4-5 Medium sized Potatoes
500grams Beef or Lamb Mince
4-6 Tablespoons of Baba’s Meat Curry Powder
4 Minced Garlic Cloves
1 Brown Onion, finely chopped
4 Cups of Frozen Mixed Vegetables, steamed in microwave
2 teaspoon Panch Pachora spice mix
6-8 curry leaves
1/2 Cup Pine Nuts
1/4-1/2 cup Milk
1 – 2 Tablespoon Butter
Perfect Italiano – 4 Cheeses (half packet) or any grated cheese that will melt well
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat up the pot and add 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Fry the Garlic & Onions till translucent add Beef mince.
- Add Panch Pachora spice and curry leaves.
- Add veggies fry for one min then add mince.
- Pepper & Salt the Mince; Tip: I love to add more pepper!!
- Add Curry Powder till meat is fully coated
- Add pine nuts and toss till well mixed
- Once veggies & mince are cooked transfer and flatten into ovenproof dish
- Wash, peel and cube potatoes then, boil in salted water
- Once tender drain water then add milk & butter and mash and mix well
- Layer mash potato atop the meat layer.
- Then layer cheese heavily atop the mashed potato and bake for 15 mins till cheese top is browned. You can also Just grill the cheese top till brown instead.
- Eat your heart out!
tip: I have even frozen this pie without baking. Keeps well for up to a month.