This recipe is one of my favourites for a lazy meal! Slow cooked roast beef, Recipe taken from The Pioneer Woman’s Pot Roast recipe with some changes to my family’s palate.
To view The Pioneer Woman’s version of the recipe click here.
We are big Kale eaters in our household so I served it with a quick Kale & Tomato salad with a wholegrain mustard dressing.
1.5kg Chuck Steak (Beef)
2 Brown Onions, cut in half
3-4 Carrots sliced thick
2 Cloves Garlic minced
500mL Beef Stock
1 Cup Red Wine
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Bay Leaf
2 Thyme Sprigs
2 Tablespoon Rosemary Leaves
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1. Season Chuck steak well with salt and pepper.
2. Add some good quality Olive Oil to a frying pan and once pan is hot, fry each side of the onion so that it’s brown-black. Once browned, remove and place into Slow Cooker.
3. Add Minced Garlic & Carrots and Brown Sugar and fry till caramelized. Remove & add to slow cooker.
4. Add little more olive oil to fry pan and once heated, add Chuck steak and sear the beef until there is a crust on each side. Remove and add to slow cooker.
5. Deglaze the pan with the red wine and really scrape the fry pan as the wine cooks to get all the flavour into the wine. Add some of the beef broth. Once the sauce simmers pour over the beef and veggies in the slow cooker.
6. Arrange Beef and veggies in slow cooker, add herbs (Bay Leaf, Rosemary leaves and Thyme) and pour Red Wine & Beef Broth all into the slow cooker but, leave beef half exposed. Set to High for 4-5 Hours or Low for 8-9hours.
6. Once the cooking time has passed the Beef should be tender. Remove Beef from slow cooker and you can fork it apart. Then return shredded meat to slow cooker and cook another 10-20Mins before changing setting to “Keep Warm.”
7. Serve Pot Roast with you favourite cheese mash and side salad.
Tip: If you have left over beef, drain the fluid alittle and it makes amazing sandwich filling for lunch the next day!!😍