So I’m currently trying to change my sweet tooth to having healthier homemade treats. We have been making Cacao & Chia Protein Balls and also Raw Brownies. I had left over dates from another recipe and read through several recipes of date slices and what people put in them and then played around in the kitchen with what I could find in my cupboard till I got the consistency and flavour I liked. This is an awesome lunchbox treat! Especially, if you’re trying to avoid the cookie jar in the break room at work!!
1 Cup Good Quality Medjool Dates, Unpitted
3 Weetbix sticks, processed
1/2 -3/4 Cup Dessicated Coconut
1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, Melted
1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter (Crunchy or Smooth)
2 Tablespoons Rice Malt Syrup
1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
1. Soak Dates in hot water from the kettle for 5-10mins then, drain the water.
2. Add all ingredients and 1/2 Dessicated coconut first to food processor and process till well mixed.
3. If consistency is still wet add the remaining Dessicated coconut and process again.
4. In baking paper lined, square or rectangular pan (I’ll leave the preference of thickness of slice to you), pour mixture into pan and flatten with back of your spoon.
5. If added chocolate chips, drizzle them onto of the slice and press into slice gently.
6. Refrigerate pan for couple of hours for mixture to firm up before slicing and keeping in airtight container for up to 2-3weeks.