My workplace initiated the employees to kick-start a “healthier you” this new year. Workers would bring in healthy treats on Thursday treatdays like raw slices and cacao bliss balls etc. to pacify our sweet tooths while also watching our waist line.
I’ve done the same at home! We have changed the treats we eat during the week to healthier options and treat ourselves on the weekend. I’ve also started exercising which I absolutely detest as I feel its up there with being mentally and physically tortured by Ramsay Bolton (ie. Game of Thrones reference)!
I love carrot cake and it was very difficult refraining from making my traditional sugar loaded Carrot cake with cream cheese icing but, I did and created this amazing replacement!! It’s Gluten Free & Sugar Free!! And wait till you try the Greek Yoghurt icing – It’s to die for….. #nomnomnom
Healthkick Carrot Cake
350g or 4 Large Carrots
200g or 2cups Almond meal
3/4 Cup Raisins
1/2 cup Walnut, roughly chopped
1/4 cup Pepitas
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon Powder
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
Extra, handful of walnuts & Pepitas for topping
60mL of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
80mL date syrup
80mL Maple Syrup
2 teaspoon vanilla paste or essence
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
Greek Yoghurt Icing
1 Cup Full Fat Greek Yoghurt
1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
Good Splash of Vanilla Essence
1. Preheat oven at 160 Celsius Fan-Forced. Oil cake pan and line with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix the Carrot, Almond meal, Walnuts, Pepitas, Nutmeg, and Cinnamon Powder until well combined then keep aside.
3. In another large bowl, mix the remaining wet ingredients until well combined.
4. Pour wet ingredients into carrot mixture then, stir until evenly combined.
5. Pour mixture into cake pan and press mixture into cake pan so the top is even and flat.
6. Bake for 60-70mins depending on your oven. Check for a clean skewer.
7. For Icing: whisk ingredients till well combined in a bowl. Once cake is cooled completely layer icing on the top of the cake. Decorate the top of the cake with remaining Walnuts & Pepitas.
8. Serve with a hot cuppa!
Note:- Cake keeps in airtight container in the fridge for up a week.