Winter has come! Which means more hearty dishes. This Soy & Vinegary broth is to die for with melt in your mouth Beef chunks. You can either use a pressure cooker or a slow cooker (like I did) for this recipe.
This is an adaptation from fellow Chindian, Masterchef Australia, Audra Morrice’s cookbook “My Kitchen, Your Table.”
1.5kg Beef Chuck
8 cloves of Garlic, skinned & crushed
1 cm Ginger, peeled and sliced thickly
2-3 Dried Chillis
2 Star Anise
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorn
1/4 Cup Shaoxing Wine
1/4 Cup Dark Soy Sauce
1/4 Black Vinegar
60g Rock Sugar/Sugar
3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Heat up olive oil in a large saucepan on high heat. Add Garlic, Ginger, Chillies, Cloves, Star Anise, Cinnamon, and Peppercorns and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Beef and brown all over. Next, add Shaoxing Wine, Dark Soy Sauce, Black Vinegar, Rock Sugar and 1 cup of Water.
- Bring sauce to boil for 1-2 minues then switch off stove and gently move Beef piece into Slow Cooker (or pressure cooker if using that) and pour sauce from pan into slow cooker.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Taste test broth and correct flavour balance if required.
- Serve with white rice.