Potato-potato! A potato side dish is a necessary to any western meal. Roast potatoes is staple side dish in our household. This is one of my favourite quick recipes particularly because it’s that convenient to throw together. I have little trick of mine I will share in this recipe to achieve crispy golden seasoned skin on the outside but, soft pillowy potato inside! It’s all in the potato soak!!
Potato Jokes (just coz!)
Q: What do you get when you cross a potato with an elephant?
A: Mashed potatoes!
Q: What kind of girlfriend does a potato wants?
A: A sweet potato.
Q: What do you call a lazy baby kangaroo?
A: A pouch potato.
4 Large Potatoes, cubed (skin on)
Olive Oil Spray
2 Tablespoons Paprika or Smoked Paprika
2-3 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- Preheat oven Fan Forced 200 Degrees and layer a baking tray with aluminium foil & baking paper.
- Wash & gently scrub your potatoes (coz dirty potatoes kill you!) then, into medium sized cubes.
- Soak potatoes in cold, mildly salted water for minimum 30mins – 1hour. This step is what washes away extra starch from the potato and helps achieve the pillowy texture at the end after roasting.
- Drain water well and add seasoning (Paprika, Rosemary, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper) and stir till potatoes are well coated.
- Layer the seasoned Potatoes on the baking tray and spray a good layer of olive oil over the potatoes.
- Bake for 20mins, remove from oven and toss the potatoes around and spray another layer of Olive oil over potatoes and return to the oven. Bake for another 15mins.
- Remove from the oven, and toss the potatoes on the pan again and if the pan is looking dry, spray a little more oil through the potatoes. And return to oven for another 15mins. (Depending on your oven you may need alittle longer at the point)
- Potatoes should be golden and browned and crispy on the outside and pillowy texture on the inside.